Search This Blog

Friday, March 8, 2013

Lemon Garlic Shrimp

Wow! It's been a whole week since I last posted and it's been driving me crazy. Tony has been busy with school and using the computer, so I haven't had a chance to hop on.

That being said, I have a lot to share today. Unfortunately, some of my projects this week didn't turn out so well. Jello fruit snacks (tasted a little like old jello) and crock pot jam. I think the jam would have been delicious, but I really overcooked it. I'll try it again sometime and, if it turns out, I'll be happy to share. :)

My sister started a weight loss challenge that is lasting about 3 weeks, so we've been changing up our diet to be a little healthier. One of the dinners we've had was Lemon Garlic Shrimp with sauteed green beans. With the Lemony Salmon Packets and now this being posted within a week of each other, you've probably realized that my husband and I love lemon...and seafood. :)

 Even though we are big fans of shrimp, I've never actually cooked it myself. Yeah, I've defrosted a bag of precooked shrimp before, but never the gray, in shell (still with legs!) shrimp. It took me a little while to get past the barbaricness of peeling it's shell and legs off before popping it in your mouth. At first I thought I was doing it completely wrong, but I was told (by people who have actually cooked shrimp) that you are definitely supposed to leave the shell on while cooking and remove it just before eating. 

Anyway, I'm supposed to be making this sound good, not trying to gross you out, right?! Honestly, as much as I was leery about this, it turned out fabulous! Citrusy and flavorful with a hint of garlic. It really was worth the unnecessary anxiety I had about cooking it!



If the shrimp is frozen, place the shrimp in a strainer of some sort and place in a container to let drain. 
Cover with plastic wrap and let thaw in the fridge overnight. 


 When ready to cook, rinse under cool water for about 3 minutes.


 Heat a saute pan on medium heat, place butter in to melt then toss the shrimp in.


Salt & pepper, to taste. 


Saute a few minutes in butter, then add juice from lemon, garlic and the lemon zest. 
Simmer and saute and let the shrimp soak up the juices.


 Once shrimp is opaque in color, you're good to go. 
(You can look on the package to see about how long to cook it. 
I've seen some say 30 minutes and others say as little as 5 minutes.)
Enjoy!


Ingredients

raw shrimp
1-2 tablespoons butter
1-2 lemons
zest from lemon(s)
2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
salt and pepper

Directions

If shrimp is frozen, place the shrimp in a strainer of some sort and place in a container to let drain. Cover with plastic wrap and let thaw in the fridge overnight. 
When ready to cook, rinse under cool water for about 3 minutes.
Heat a saute pan on medium heat, place butter in to melt then toss shrimp in.
Salt & pepper, to taste. 
Saute a few minutes in butter, then add juice from lemon, garlic and the lemon zest.
Simmer and saute and let the shrimp soak up the juices.
Once shrimp is opaque in color, you're good to go. (You can look on the package to see about how long to cook it. I've seen some say 30 minutes and others say as little as 5 minutes.)


1 comment:

Check these out!