Search This Blog

Sunday, June 9, 2013

DIY Pie Iron Bag

I think I've mentioned before that I'm not a huge fan of summer. I should correct myself. It's not summer that I don't like, it's the hot & humid temperatures that usually tend to come quite often throughout the season. As far as summer activities, I actually enjoy them quite a bit! One of the things that I look forward to the most is camping. I absolutely LOVE camping! 

We used to camp quite often when we were little, and I guess that's where my love for it grew. Didn't matter if we're staying in a cabin, camper, tent or even under the trampoline like we did when we were kids. I think it's the "back woodsy" feeling that just makes you feel happy and energetic. It makes me feel like I could hike 50 miles. {In reality, I probably couldn't even come close. Especially once the s'mores come out and my lazy self gets planted next to the bonfire....} However, I like the feeling. :)

Packing is a process, but I usually don't get too stressed out about it. The only thing I find to be a real pain in the butt is packing the pie irons and roaster sticks. They're always full of charcoal and they tend to swipe grime on everything they come close to.

Honestly, I didn't even realize they sold bags for them. That does make things a lot easier, right? 
Except for one problem. There is no way you could get me to spend twenty bucks on a simple bag just to keep my sticks in one place.

I have a better idea. 

If you have an old pair of jeans and a little time, you can throw a bag together yourself. 
You can even do a little decorating and make it look cute!


Make sure your pant leg is long enough for your irons and cut one leg off.
If you want to do any letters like this, you can do that now. :)


Sew the wider end closed and either serge or zigzag stitch. 
{Using the wider end will give your irons more room at the bottom.}
I rounded the corners of mine, but you can sew it straight across, if you'd prefer.


On the open end, I added a simple handle and velcro across the the inside to keep the irons in place.
{The bag is inside out here.}


Turn it right side out and smile. 
You just saved yourself $20 and you have your own custom iron bag.


Gather up your irons....


....put them in....


....and seal them inside. :)






5 comments:

  1. I just made two of these!! I cut the waist band off the pants and used that to make handles for both bags!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just made mine! Love it! Thanks for the idea!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Check these out!