Search This Blog

Monday, September 2, 2013

Homemade Microwave Potato Chips!

Hold on to your stockings, readers, because I have something to tell you that is going to knock your socks right off! You can make too-good-to-be-true, salty, crispity-crunchety potato chips in your microwave!!

I was pretty skeptical in the beginning, so I just started with some basic salted chips. They turned out great, so I kept experimenting and came up with four different flavors!

Original Salted
Sea Salt & Cracked Black Pepper
Onion & Dill
Vinegar & Sea Salt

I got the idea from Carolyn at foodgal.com, and am shocked at how quickly you can make this delicious snack! If you experiment with different flavors, I would love to hear how they turn out!


Start with a clean potato. 
(Food Gal said to use Yukon Gold or red potatoes, but I used a Russet and they turned out great!)


If you have a mandolin, I would suggest using it! :)
Unfortunately, I don't, so I settled for a cheese slicer that my brother bought me. It worked surprisingly well!
If you don't have either, just slice them as thin as you can with a knife.


Place them in a bowl.


Drizzle with some olive oil (enough to coat them all) and your chosen seasonings.
{I have my suggestions for seasonings posted below.}


Shake them up, so everything is evenly distributed. 
(Since it's the original salted flavor pictured, it's hard to see the "seasonings".)


Coat a microwave-safe plate with some non-stick spray (I just used some olive oil) and spread your potato slices out.


Place in the microwave on HIGH for 2-4 minutes, or until the edges begin to brown.


Quickly, but carefully, flip them all over and microwave for another 1-3 minutes, or until they are golden. Be careful not to scorch them!

*They will probably stick to the plate, so have a small tongs or spatula nearby. Since you have to work quickly, you don't want your fingers to burn by trying to flip them fast enough.


Once they are golden brown, transfer them to a cooling rack. They should feel like they are starting to get crispy when you remove them from the microwave, but they will get much crispier once they cool.
{It wouldn't be a potato chip without that satisfying crunch!}


Original Salted
Just used salt. Nice and simple.


Vinegar & Sea Salt
I soaked the potato slices in vinegar for about 30 minutes, then drained the excess vinegar and added the salt and olive oil before spreading them out on the plate.
{This is probably my favorite!}


Sea Salt & Cracked Black Pepper
Along with the sea salt, I added some freshly cracked black pepper.


Onion & Dill
I added some onion powder to the sea salt and olive oil, along with a generous sprinkling of dill weed.


Hope you like them!! :)



2 comments:

  1. I think I need to go purchase a microwave! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know microwaves aren't the healthiest thing, but it may be worth it. ;) Tony brought some to work the next day (he said they are even better after they have time to soak in the flavors!) and his boss tried them. He told Tony that he would like to place an order for himself. Lol!

      Delete

Check these out!