Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Keeping a Clean House

Have you ever had the desire to be completely organized? I know I've told you that I've been going through this phase lately. I have cleaned every room in our apartment. (Yes, that means EVERYTHING!) Cupboards, drawers, under furniture, re-folding everything. I've even gone as far as cleaning our cleaners and washing our mop.)  I may be going a little over the top OCD.

After dinner the other night, my husband went to get ready for bed and I told him that I was just going to pick up the kitchen a bit. I really intended to just get the dishes in the dishwasher, but by the time he got out of the shower, I was done with the dishes, mopping the kitchen and getting ready to vacuum the livingroom. He teased me that he doesn't clean as much anymore because his cleaning wouldn't be good enough.

There are days where I'm more lazy than necessary, but a lot of the time I just can't leave something alone when I know it's messy. Especially at night. I like it clean so that I can wake up to a clean home as I start my day. You can't beat walking into a shiny clean kitchen early in the morning as you start your pot of coffee!

Also, in an effort to stay organized, I make a lot of lists. They may not always be neat lists, but they help me put into perspective the things I need to accomplish.

Weekly Menu
Grocery List
To-Do Around the House
Exercise Routine
Gifts for Birthdays/Weddings
What Needs to be Cleaned
Bills to Pay

Most of these start out being scribbled down on paper, then typed out onto a document on the computer once I know it works. This particular piece that I'm sharing with you today has been working really well for us! Granted, we only have the two of us in a small apartment, so our cleaning list may not be exactly what is going to work for your family. (For instance, most families may not be able to get away with only doing 1-3 loads of laundry each week.)

I tried to make it workable for bigger families, as well as smaller households. There are also a few things that may look extreme to do so often, but I have found that by putting it on my lists, it gives me the reminder to check and see if it needs to be done. If it's on my list to change sheets & pillowcases each week, but we hadn't had anyone sleep in the guestroom since they had been washed last, then obviously I'm not going to strip the clean sheets off.

There is also a task listed to bring the "Donate Box" to Goodwill. This is just a designated box (or basket, cupboard, etc.) specifically for items to donate. If you have this space set aside, it makes it easier to stay organized with your daily "pick up". {How many times do you see something in your house and think "Does anyone use this anymore?" or better yet "This doesn't even fit anyone that lives here."} When you see these random items, or your kids come into the kitchen with pants that are 3 inches too short, just drop them in the box (the pants, not your kid). At the end of the month, take all these items to your local thrift store or homeless shelter. It helps you keep a cleaner, more organized home, as well as helping people in need. 


It also may seem like a lot of work to clean the old/expired items out of your fridge each week, but believe me, it's easy! Friday is usually my day to do all my weekly tasks, so that morning I grab the trash can, sort through the leftovers that are no longer good and check the expiration dates on the condiments and other items. {It helps me to keep a roll of masking tape and a permanent marker near the fridge. When I put any leftovers away, I attach a piece of tape and mark what is in the container and the date. I also try to mark the date on a package when I open it. It's a quick, cheap, and simple way to keep your fridge and pantry organized.}


By doing each of these little things on a regular schedule, it makes my life easier. I don't feel overwhelmed when I think about cleaning our apartment. I actually enjoy it! Beside each task is a small box to check off. At the top, there is a box for each week and the month to mark once it's completed. There is definitely a satisfying feeling that sets in when you finish your housework and you can check off those boxes!

 I think that's all I have for now, folks. 
If you have any questions, feel free to comment! I hope this helps make your life a little bit easier! :)





2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I actually thought of you when I posted this because I know how much of a list maker you are! ;)

      Delete

Check these out!