Search This Blog

Sunday, October 13, 2013

Vegetable Beef Soup

On a chilly fall day like yesterday, I always appreciate a good bowl of hot soup. However, I don't make soup often. Mostly because Tony isn't a big fan of it, but also because, unless I'm following a recipe, I don't know how. Yes, I know that's weird. What girl from a family of 11 kids doesn't know how to make a basic soup with her eyes closed?  


I've made the loaded baked potato soup, as well as a tomato basil (both with recipes!), but I'm not like my mother who can just dump things in a pot and make amazing soup every time. I wish I could, but making soup is one of the many things that doesn't come naturally for me.

A few weeks ago, my sister-in-law made a vegetable, beef & barley soup that was delicious. So, when I was craving soup this weekend, I decided to make vegetable beef. It's a very simple soup, but I figured I would post it anyway. Maybe it will be useful for someone else that has soup making impairments like me. :)


Ingredients
1 lb. beef, cubed
4 large carrots, diced
4-6 stalks of celery, diced
1 onion, diced
3-5 garlic cloves, minced
2-3 large potatoes, diced
32 oz. beef stock
salt & pepper, to taste
additional seasonings to taste, optional

Directions

Season beef with salt & pepper, then saute in a large pan.
While the beef is sauteing, mix carrots, celery, garlic, onion, salt & pepper in a large pot on medium heat for about 10 minutes.
Add potatoes and another pinch salt & pepper. 
Continue sauteing for 5-10 more minutes. (It may stick to the bottom.)
Add a little beef stock and scrape the browned bits off the bottom of the pot.
Pour in remaining beef stock and the cooked beef.
Bring to a boil, then turn down the heat to keep it simmering.
Let simmer at least 30 minutes, or until vegetables are cooked thoroughly.


*Just a tip: a simple soup tastes awesome when served with some good old fashioned "church bread"! :)


(Directions with Photos)

Season beef with salt & pepper, then saute in a large pan.


While the beef is sauteing, mix carrots, celery, garlic, onion, salt & pepper in a large pot on medium heat for about 10 minutes.

(If you noticed, I don't have any onion in there. Totally forgot about it....not sure how I managed that. Like I said- I have soup-making difficulties.)


 Add potatoes and another pinch salt & pepper. 


Continue sauteing for 5-10 more minutes. 
(It may stick to the bottom like in this picture.)


Add a little beef stock and scrape the browned bits off the bottom of the pot.


Pour in remaining beef stock and the cooked beef.


Bring to a boil, then turn down the heat to keep it simmering.
Let simmer atleast 30 minutes, or until vegetables are cooked thoroughly.



*************************

If you're in a "soup-making" mood, try the Loaded Baked Potato Soup next!







2 comments:

  1. Looks yummy! :) I had to laugh when I read your post...what OLDEST child of 11 children doesn't know how to make a basic soup?!? I have soup making impairments also! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one. :)

      Delete

Check these out!