Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Honey Chicken with Steamed Veggies and Rice


I love food...I really love food. I have lots of favorites and this one definitely makes the cut. I make this often and my husband requests this often. A family favorite for sure.  

Ingredients:

1 large chicken breast
4 cups frozen stir fry vegetables
1-2 Tablespoons olive oil
2 cloves garlic (optional)
3 Tablespoons honey
2 Tablespoons soy sauce
2 Tablespoons corn starch
1/4 cup water
1 cup white rice (water to prepare rice)
black pepper
chow mein noodles (optional)

Serves:  4

First thing you will want to do is to get the rice ready. It is best for the rice to be cooking as you cook your chicken and vegetables. That way the rice will be hot and ready when needed. I like to prepare my rice in my rice cooker but if you prefer you can also make the rice on the stovetop. If you use your stovetop, simply boil 2 cups water. You may add 1/2 tsp salt to the water. Once your water is boiling, add 1 cup rice. Turn the heat to low or simmer and cover. Simmer for 20 minutes or until all water is absorbed and the rice is no longer "crunchy". :)


Now is the time you want to put your frozen veggies in a steamer. You may also choose to stir fry your veggies in a small amount of olive oil. My husband prefers his veggies fully cooked so I usually steam them. But if you like veggies when they are crisp-tender then stir frying them is the best option. 


Now you will need to heat a large skillet with olive oil on medium heat. Slice or dice (matter of preference) the large chicken breast. Add to the hot pan. If you love garlic like I do...now is the time to add some minced garlic to the hot pan also. :) Saute your chicken and garlic until the chicken is fully cooked or juices run clear.


As soon as your chicken is cooked, add your measured honey and soy sauce. Season with black pepper. Stir well. As soon as it starts to boil....


...add the cornstarch mixed thoroughly with the 1/4 cup water. I usually mix my cornstarch and water in a mug and then slowly add it to my pan as I stir. Continue stirring for a couple minutes. You will notice that the honey and soy mixture will begin to thicken. Turn your heat down to low. 

Now the frozen veggies that have been steaming should be ready. Be sure not to over-steam the vegetables. No one likes soggy "smushed" veggies. :) If you notice they are done before you are ready to use them, just  remove them from the heat. When you remove your veggies from the steamer, be sure to let any excess moisture drain off.
Then simply add to the skillet with the chicken and carefully mix everything together.


Now to serve, simply put a small scoop of rice in a bowl. Top with a large spoonful of chicken and veggies. Voila! Dinner is served! :)


My favorite way to enjoy is to top it off with some crunchy chow mein noodles. Yummy!!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Check these out!