Search This Blog

Friday, January 10, 2014

Pumpkin Roll



Walking into Kroger, my husband and I saw a table full of goodies--soon to be "expired" holiday ingredients.  I don't know how everyone else feels, but I think whoever had the idea to put this stuff right at the front door is genius.  Prior to seeing that table, our list consisted of about 3 things.  Walking out, we had MANY more items in our grocery bags.  In those bags, Libby's Pure Pumpkin ended up being one of the added items.  The BIG can for $0.99!  Heck yes!!
Now aside from making my usual pumpkin pie during the holidays, I have never experimented with pumpkin.  I don't know why.  I love it.  Well, this past Thanksgiving, my sister in law's boyfriend brought a delicious pumpkin roll that his sister had made for him to share.  Remembering that, I decided to venture from the comfort zone of my normal pumpkin pie and give this new (for me) dessert a try.
Although I have never made a jelly roll of any kind, which is why I do not have a jelly roll pan, I made the best of it.  Using a half sheet, which is a little bigger than a jelly roll pan, I crossed my fingers.  Worst case scenario, it's a large flop.  Mediocre scenario, the roll falls apart but I learned the recipe was good. (...and I would know a jelly roll pan would be in my future. ;) Best case scenario, it all works great!

Well folks...it worked great.  You should definitely try this recipe.  I found it when I looked up Libby's Pumpkin Roll.  I am not advertising, but I would like to note, in my opinion, Libby's 100% Pure Pumpkin is the best pumpkin to use. :)


Preparation:
  • Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.  Grease 15 x 10 jelly roll pan; line with wax paper.  Grease and flour paper.
  • Sprinkle a thin, cotton kitchen towel with powdered sugar, making sure to use enough powdered sugar so your cake won't stick.
  • Set a cooling rack to the side.  
Cake:

1/4 cup powdered sugar (to sprinkle on towel)
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 large eggs
1 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cup Libby's 100% Pure Pumpkin (the only kind to use!!)
1 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)

Filling:

1- 8 oz. package of cream cheese
1 cup powdered sugar
6 Tablespoons soft butter
 1 teaspoon pure vanilla



Directions:
  • Combine dry ingredients-flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, and salt- in a small bowl.  
  • In a large bowl, beat eggs and granulated sugar until thick. 
  • Beat in pumpkin.
  • STIR in flour mixture. 


  • Spread evenly in pan. (As I stated above, I did not have a jelly roll pan.  Using a half sheet, which is a little larger than a jelly roll pan, I spread the batter almost to the edges.  It worked great as an improvisation. )

  • Bake 13 to 15 minutes or when cake "bounces" back when touched. 


  • When finished baking turn pan over on powdered sugar towel immediately. 
Excuse my pan!  I guess I should use one of our posts on how to clean your cookie sheets.  To see how to clean your pans, click HERE!


  • Carefully remove hot pan. 


  • Slowly peel off the wax paper. 


  • Starting at the narrow end, carefully start rolling. 


  • Roll....roll....roll.....


  • Roll until you reach the end of the towel. 


  • Place on a cooling rack and allow to sit for approximately an hour or until cool. 


  • As your roll cools, get ingredients around for your filling.


  • When the hour is almost up, combine filling ingredients and blend until smooth. 


  • After your roll has completely cooled, carefully unroll. 






  • Spread filling evenly on your cake.


  • Once again, carefully roll to the end.



  • Cover with plastic and refrigerate at least 1 hour.  I did not have plastic wrap so I used wax paper and aluminum foil.  I was all about improvising today. :)



Using dental floss, I carefully cut my roll.  If you don't know how to do this, it's easy.  Using a long piece of floss, slide the middle of the floss under the roll.  Bring the floss over the top and cross sides.  Pull evenly and you will cut pretty pieces every time. 

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Check these out!