Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Healthy Stove-top Popcorn

Popcorn is one of those things that I absolutely love, but rarely have. Every time I make it, I wonder why I waited so long. It's nice that it's a healthy snack, but unfortunately, most people prefer their popcorn drizzled with an entire stick of melted butter. That's not so healthy.

I have an air popper, but since it's so dry, the salt never sticks. I've heard you can spray it with butter flavored spray first, but that doesn't sound very appetizing to me. Personally, I like my popcorn best when it's made on the stove-top with a good oil, but sometimes I still have a hard time getting the salt to stick unless we drizzle it with a little butter afterwards.

After thinking about it for a bit, I decided to try to make it with the salt already in the oil before I pop it.....

.....holy buckets, it works!

This popcorn is so yummy, and salty, and absolutely addicting.

I will tell you the ratios I used for my popcorn, but you may want to add more or less, depending on how you like your popcorn. Guess you'll just have to make a few batches to find out what you like most. ;)


(Before you begin, you will want to set aside a large bowl, so it's ready when you are.)

I started with a large pot and began heating it over medium heat.
Then I added 1 1/2-2 tablespoons of coconut oil and let it melt.


Once the oil was melted, I poured in about 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt.
(Keep in mind that you are basically "infusing" your popcorn with the salt, that's why I used so much. 
Most of it will stay in the pan after you're done.)


Sprinkle in 1/2 cup of your favorite popcorn kernels.


Cover the pot and, using potholders to protect your hands, hold the cover down and gently shake the pan back and forth, and side to side. (Don't shake it up and down...you want to keep the kernels at the bottom.)

Once it really starts going, continue shaking and listening for the popping to slow down.


When it sounds like there aren't too many kernels left at the bottom, turn off the heat, quickly remove the cover, and dump it into the bowl you have waiting.


That's it.


You have now made the best popcorn you have ever tasted. :)
So...grab a blanket, a movie, and someone to cuddle.....and enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Check these out!