Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Kettle Corn (in 10 Minutes!)


When making popcorn, I normally stick to my easy stove-top recipe. (You can find that here!) It's salty and delicious, but tonight I was in the mood for something a bit sweeter. I didn't want to go through the work of making caramel corn, plus I wanted it right away and didn't want to wait. Yes, I know....complaints, complaints.

I decided to try a variation of my stove-top popcorn. Using sugar instead of salt during the popping process. It turned out great! A perfect balance between sweet and salty with a caramelized crunchy coating. :)


INGREDIENTS

2 Tbsp. coconut oil
1/2 c. sugar
3/4 c. popcorn kernels
salt


DIRECTIONS
Start by heating the oil over medium heat until watery.


Add the sugar and stir.
It will begin to get thicker, the sugar will dissolve and begin to change color.


Add the popcorn kernels.


Cover and begin shaking the pan back and forth, side to side over the burner. (Remember to use hot mitts!)


Listen for the popping. Keep shaking it until the popping begins to slow. (Keeping it moving will help keep the sugar from burning, as well as coating the kernels as they're popping. Be ready for a workout!)


When the popping slows, quickly dump into a large bowl. 
While it's still sticky, quickly sprinkle with desired amount of salt and stir it up. Taste and add more salt if necessary.


Look at that sweet & salty crunchy coating....
ENJOY! :)






2 comments:

  1. Danette CopelandMay 6, 2022 at 8:54 PM

    I made this & it turned out very well. First i made it with vegetable oil, 2nd i made with coconut oil & Splenda. Making it with slpenda it wasn't as sweet but it was good & much healthier. I recommend. 😋

    ReplyDelete

Check these out!