Search This Blog

Monday, May 19, 2014

Lemon Curd Filling

Have you seen my sisters' yummy egg recipes? The Spinach and Red Pepper Eggs and the Healthy Avocado Egg sound so tasty that I'm sure to run out of eggs this week sampling these recipes. Since my sisters have been sharing some great egg recipes lately, I decided to share one with you as well. It may be on the other end of the spectrum, as I'm sharing something sweet rather than savory, but it's delicious nonetheless. :)

This recipe does make quite a bit. I made 12 cupcakes and a 6 inch round cake. I filled all the cupcakes and spread 1 layer on the cake and still had quite a bit left. 
It's tart yet sweet, and is a perfect filling for summer cupcakes. 
Maybe try it in thumb print cookies, too?! :)


Ingredients

8 large egg yolks
2 whole large eggs
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup lemon juice (fresh squeezed or bottled)
3 Tbsp butter

Directions

Using a double boiler, combine the eggs, yolks, sugar, and lemon juice and stir well.
Bring the water to a boil and stir the mixture until it thickens.
After about 10-15 minutes, the mixture should coat the spoon.
Once it's thickened enough, remove from heat and stir in the butter until mixed well.
Let it cool completely before using. 
Refrigerate any leftovers.


***************************************************************************


(Directions with Photos)

Using a double boiler, combine the eggs, yolks, sugar, and lemon juice and stir well.


**In place of a double boiler, I just use a saucepan with a glass bowl on top. Mix the ingredients in the bowl, and put some water in the pan below it. Just be sure the bottom of the bowl doesn't touch the water.


Bring the water to a boil and stir the mixture until it thickens.
After about 10-15 minutes, the mixture should coat the spoon.


Once it's thickened enough, remove from heat and add the butter.


Stir until thoroughly mixed.


Let it cool completely before using. 


I used this filling with white cupcakes and cream cheese frosting.
Once the filling and cupcakes were both cooled, I spooned the filling into a pastry bag. Using the longest and most slender tip I had, I piped it into the center of the cupcakes, then topped it off with frosting.


Let me know if you find another great use for this filling! :)






No comments:

Post a Comment

Check these out!