Search This Blog

Monday, August 25, 2014

Oven Baked Brown Rice


I never thought there was a special trick to making brown rice versus white rice.
I was wrong.

The first time I ever made brown rice, I made it just like white rice, and I swear my husband and I almost chipped a tooth. (Okay, maybe that's an exaggeration, but it WAS pretty bad.)

In this post, I will show you a trick I found for making perfect brown rice. Every time. In the oven!

It still has the texture and nuttiness of brown rice, but it's also soft and fluffy and not mushy at all.

I usually make this batch (it's a pretty big batch for just the two of us!), we use what we need, then freeze the rest in a big ziploc. It's so handy to have cooked rice ready to go and it holds up perfectly in the freezer.

********************************************************************

How to make perfect brown rice:

First of all, pour about 7 cups of water in a dutch oven.
(You could also use a different baking dish, just be sure it's big enough and can seal up well. Maybe a 9x13 with aluminum foil tucked tightly.)


Add 3 cups brown rice.


Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and your desired seasonings. 
(I did salt, pepper, and some cumin for this batch.)


Stir it up well.


Cover and place in a cold oven.


Turn the oven on to 450 degrees.
Turn your timer on for 1 hour.


Do NOT check it during that hour or you will release too much steam.

*********************************************************************

That's it!
When the hour is up, remove the rice from the oven and uncover. 


Fluff with a fork.


Serve and freeze any leftovers, if you'd like. :)







No comments:

Post a Comment

Check these out!